It is time for a new series. I always have a ton to talk about but not a lot of time (or energy) to write. But I am thinking if I periodically have "series" that I can turn to, it will help keep me motivated to write. No worries. I will write more about my overly exciting life from time to time as well.
Hidden in the Woodwork gives me an opportunity to share with you strange, different, uncommon or not well known things in our world that is swept under the carpet or just not really prevalent in our everyday lives. It may lead to debate or controversy but it will most certainly (or hopefully) open your (and my) eyes to new lifestyles, view points and theories.
So to kick off my new series Hidden in the Woodwork I must share with you something I came across while browsing the internet while H slept on me for two additional hours after her first hour in her crib. When I read some of these stories and blogs about this lifestyle, I am still scratching my head but really wanted to share to a) see if I am the only one that didn't know this existed and b) to get your feedback on the issue.
How many of you have heard about DD relationships? Do you know what the DD stands for? Nope, not dungeons and dragons. DD stands for "Domestic Discipline" and it stems from "Christian" roots. Basically, the belief is that the man is head of the household and makes the rules for the house. If anyone breaks those rules, including the wife, they are spanked. Sometimes pretty extensively. Other punishments can also be executed such as soap in the mouth for poor language. The spankings can be distributed either by the hand or by items such as paddles, belts, dog leashes, etc.
Ummm...I am a pretty open-minded person and I admit I am not a Christian. Since my only bible studying was in Catholic school at a very young age, maybe I forgot the words and messages it portrays. I don't remember it saying that a woman was to be beaten...I mean, spanked...if she goes against some "rules" the "head" of the household makes. I guess I can see some Christians buying into the theory of the man being the head of the home since their god is a man and their "savior" is a man. And then you have the whole Adam/Eve story. So I can see that part of it. But the beatings...shoot, I mean "spankings," why do I feel like this is just a way for strict, conservative Christians to justify getting their kink on under the sheets?
I could be wrong and I am always trying to keep an open mind with no judgement. I don't live in their house nor do they in mine. Everyone lives in different ways and I always say, to each their own. Maybe these women have security issues. Maybe they didn't get enough hugs from their dad when they were young. Or maybe they got too many hugs from daddy. And the men? Well, I am sure that there are more than a handful of men that would jump into a relationship like this with both cemented feet! To know that you are in control and can punish anyone who gets in their way? Come on...
Of course all anyone wants is to be happy and most of these couples say that their marriage couldn't be better. That this punishment/recovery/forgiveness plan makes them feel closer as a couple. Again, to each their own. I personally feel like it is abuse. Consensual abuse. One-sided abuse. But what do I know?
Here is a link to some information so that you can formulate your own opinion. And if you google search it, you will find much more. Just be careful because it is right on the verge of more perverse videos and articles that will just corrupt your computer and plaster porn all over your screen.
http://www.christiandd.com/husbands/brent1.html
What are your thoughts?
2 comments:
Hi! I have been looking for blogs by other moms, and came across yours. I find this post incredibly intriguing! I read the article to linked, and my eyes got wider and wider as I read. I cannot believe a woman would allow herself to live in this way. I would classify myself as a Christian, and I have read the bible. One thing people these days need to remember or realize is that the bible is a historical document as much as an inspired teaching (so Christians believe), and that you cannot take the teachings out of the context of the culture and time period they were written. The culture at the time viewed women as equal with children, and therefore needing discipline.
In our society today, women are NOT less than men, despite still being treated so quite often. If my husband ever suggested this kind of lifestyle to me, I would have him committed. The man writing the article claims that his marriage is not good, but great because he spanks his wife like she is a child. I would argue that my marriage is great because my husband and I love and respect one another as partners.
Thank you for this interesting post! I never knew this kind of thing existed either.
I have never heard of this lifestyle but I can say that I'm not completely against it. Sounds like both adults agree to it so I can't judge them. There are lots of things that Christians do and believe in that I think are nuts but if it makes them happy then so be it. I kind of like the idea of a structured household but don't think a spanking would be punishment...haha. I guess everyone is different. This is a good find though and I thank you for sharing it! Can't wait to read what other crazy things you come across! :)
Post a Comment