The Housewife's Brood

Monday, February 2, 2009

Catch up...or is it ketchup?

Well, well, well, haven't I been the slacker for the past few days? The way I looked at it, half of my fan base was buried under 3" of ice and snow with no electricity so I took some time off from talking about myself. Well, at least on here.

Sit back and put your feet up. This will probably be a lengthy post with no real direction and a lot of random, useless information.

Still reading? You must either a) love me a lot, b) be as bored as I am writing this post or c) looking for a good read on the john. No matter, glad you're still with me!

Let's rewind time to Thursday morning. My doctor's appointment. I guess I must have been scheduled to arrive when every pregnant person and their pregnant mothers were in the waiting room. Ahh yes, it never gets old seeing someone rubbing their precious over gorged bellies and watching their husbands fluff up pillows to put behind their baby mama's back. The chilvary, the love, the fat guts, etc. I swear I was the only one...probably in the city...that wasn't pregnant. True I felt very thin and agile but I was also getting choked up by either anger and hatred or by puke from all the pregnant love in the room. UGGGHHH!!!!

Of course this would have to be a busy day for them so I was able to sit out there for well over 30 minutes. I got to hear all the laughter from behind the "door" and the, "next week is your big week YAY" and the "I feel like I am going to pop HAHAHA", blah, blah, blah. That 30 minutes felt like 30 days. I buried my nose into a gossip mag to read about people who make trillions more than me but still have pathetic lives. That always helps me feel better about myself.

I thought I might throw a pillow filled with lead at the next overly pregnant woman that walked through the door when, finally, the nurse peeked out from behind the "door" and called my name. With the speed of a super hero, I lunged that direction and didn't look back. Finally, get me out of this hell.

The nurse that fetched me must really "love" her job or maybe she just had a miscarriage too and hated every woman she came in contact with because she was an ice block! She took me back to get my weight and I made some joking comment about taking my shoes off and what not to get my weight lower...I got nothing from her. Not even a courtesy humph. Granted, it was a weak joke attempt and it was only made because I am always nervous at doc offices and I was already uncomfortable with my month long wait with the pregnant fatties. Blah! But I got nothing.

Well, this comedian doesn't give up when she hits a wall! When the nurse directed me into my exam room du jour, I couldn't believe the size of it! And it even had a recliner! How long DO people have to wait to see the doc?? A recliner? Really? That's not very reassuring. When I walked in I was like "wow, is this the VIP suite?" Now, come on, that's kinda funny. At least enough for an almost sincere courtesy chuckle. I tell you, NOTHING! Forget ice, this woman was STONE!

We get in the room and she says, so you are here for a sonogram, right? I said, umm, I don't really know why I am here other than for a follow up from my miscarriage. Did I get a "oh, I'm sorry for your loss?" Umm, NO! She was like, well, was it natural? Are you having any cramping or bleeding, etc. No!!! Come on folks! I have told like three people in this small office about my situation and yet no one bothered to write it down anywhere? Really?? While you are writing down my miscarriage story that has been told so much I think it was a movie I watched, also write down a little note next to an astericks that reminds anyone who reads my file to toss me a "sorry for your loss" line. I don't care if you mean it but, boy, would that be a nice touch. GEEZ FOLKS! And you deal with women??? Hormonal, mood swingin', emotional, stressed out, freaked out, crazy women??? Wow.

Anyway, she says, well go ahead and get undressed from the waist down in case Doc H wants to do the sonogram. I say, ok thanks...for NOTHING!!!! She left and I did what I was told. I wrapped the sheet around me as much as possible but, in order to cover up my feet (they were blocks of ice), I had to turn the sheet long ways to down my legs and, since it is a rectangle and not a square...well, you see what I'm saying.

I waited, no lie, for about another 30 or so minutes. I heard laughter in the halls and more baby talk. I would love to know if they actually have any other patient that is NOT pregnant like me! Good grief. My feet were like frozen ice and it made me start thinking that doc offices should invest in little footies for patients...sure, disposable footies are even fine. I mean, they keep their offices like ice chests anyway so they should help out patients by having warmer waiting attire. And, boy, I started understanding what the recliner was for. If there would have been a warm blanket hanging on the back of that puppy, my naked butt may have been sitting over there instead of the hard paper covered table.

Finally, Doc H came through the door. You always know when they're coming because you can hear the file folder being picked up outside the door. Immediately, her face turned down and she came straight at me with a hug and a "I am so sorry Dawna." I don't know if it was the waiting room crap that did it, or the fact that SOMEONE in that office acted like they gave a crap that did, but I totally lost it. I cried like a baby (uggh, no pun intended) in the arms of my doc only the second time I have ever seen her.

She was awesome and is the reason I will continue to go to her. She was very sincere and sat down next to me to relieve my concerns. She never makes you feel like she doesn't have time to listen. You really feel like you have her undivided attention. It's nice. She did the sonogram and told me that my ute and ovaries look like beauties. Other than my ute's recent mishap, I was very proud of my girly parts! Yay for my good looking innards! She said that everything measures perfect and gave me the all clear to "try" again. She assures me that I am not too old. She said that most women are having babies at my age and older and she highly recommends it. She says she is glad that younger women aren't jumping on the baby train so fast because so much can change in your 20s. I agreed and felt much better about my innards, my age and my doc!

Now, I was hoping that I could get out of there without getting poked. And I did. Well, sort of. She asked me my blood type and if I am positive or negative. I went blank! I knew my folks knew but I didn't know at the time. Well, she says, let's have some blood work done to figure that out. NOOOO!!!! What???? Why???? She said I could have it done that day next door at the lab and I said...well, it isn't that easy. I can't do the blood thing by myself so I will need to schedule it for when T can come with me. So she had the requests drawn up and I took the paperwork and flew out the door quicker than most of those women will be able to move their pillows!

After the docs, I headed to the gym and then home. T picked up Tay that evening and the rest of the night was pretty uneventful.

Friday:
Friday morning Tay and I did our usual morning routine of furry baby duties, juice, breakfast and cartoons. I was going to be taking Tay to T's Mom's so that she could spend some quality time with her. It was nice because I was going to drop Tay off and head to the gym. Perfect plan.

And so I did. Tay got to ride in the sexy car to Nona's. Nona was excited when she saw us, we did the ol' switcheroo and I headed to the gym. Steph, Jim and Tay got back to our place aroudn 6 or so and we had a big ol' Mexican feast for dinner. A taco bar and some of my homemade guac that is always a hit.

Saturday:
Wow, we sure are moving now...closer to Super Bowl Sunday! Saturday we all kinda hung out around the house. Since I went to the gym Mon - Fri, I took Sat off. We had breakfast, played games, and just hung out. We found out from Ryan that their friends were coming to SB Sunday and would be bringing their 5 year old daughter. I mentioned to Todd that maybe he could check with Michelle to see if we could keep Tay till after the party. Of course this was about an hour before he was to leave to take her home. Michelle actually said she could stay - we were both amazed. Either the drugs are working or the fiance is...whatever the case may be, woohoo.

Since this was an unexpected treat, I thought it would be fun to have a movie night in our jammies. We made a big palate of blankets and pillows on the floor and Tay got to pick out a movie from our apple TV selection. The final pick was Open Season 2. We tried to use a new popcorn popper that we were given for Christmas. Well, it didn't exactly work as the directions said that it would. We got a bowl full of hot kernels and the kernels would sometimes pop when they would hit the bowl and fly out at us! It was like popcorn wars. Tay was hiding behind T and I burned my finger on a kernel. Those things were atomic!!

We ended up doing micro popcorn and settling in for the movie. It was cute, we had fun and I think Tay will want to have a traditional movie night from now on.

Sunday:
Photobucket
FINALLY!! Super Bowl Sunday!!! What I didn't mention on Saturday's review is that I started the Steelers brainwashing on Tay early in the day. We talked about her attire for the party (black and gold or all black with my Steeler beads), the name of the team (5 year olds tend to forget easily) and the significance of the game (to be the BEST!). I also told her that we would be a minority at the party but that it's ok to be different! Good lesson, huh??

I woke up with a skip in my step! I was so excited but, at the same time, anxious because this would be my first encounter with Lauren since my m/c. I have been keeping my distance since then because of my "anger" and "resentment" at preg people in general. I never want to hurt her so I have laid low. And I also don't want to put myself in a situation where I am face to face with what I don't have. So it has been best. But today I was going to have to find a way to push all that aside and focus on my boys!!

I straightened up the house and Tay cleaned her room (amazingly well!!). I started my SB chili the day before but I threw it on the stove for final prep around 2'ish. Everyone was to arrive at 3. My first beer was popped at around the same time. I needed something to help numb the nerves that get twinged when seeing preg people. I was hoping the hops would find their way to those nerves...sooner than later. They were the first to show.

The party went well. It was hard watching T rub Lauren's belly when she arrived...right in front of me...but another beer later and I had moved on. It was awesome to see Ryan because, since he is a boy, isn't pregnant and loves football, it helped take my mind off of baby crap. The rest of the gang filtered in and, at one point, we probably had about 15 or so people. My chili was a lot thinner than usual and that kinda upset me but the next beer took care of that nerve receptor. After a while, the energy of the game and the cold beer took care of most nerve receptors and helped me get through the rest of the night. And YAY!! What a game and what an outcome!! Just they way the football gods wanted it! But good for Arizona to even be on that field! Maybe they can keep up their winning spirit combined with good defense next year. With that kind of playing action, there will be more people in their stands than just the cleaning people.

I woke up today with a bit of a headache. I NEVER feel bad after having beers so I am either losing my touch or it was because I never really got around to eating. My nerves combined with my frosty beers got in the way of my growling stomach and all I had were a couple of bites of chili when everyone had left. Unfortunately, I did have a crying meltdown post party. I knew that would happen. I knew it going into the whole thing. But eating, crying and beers are a combination for a mega headache the next day.

Today was very uneventful other than the final post party clean up. I am doing laundry now and finally ketch-ing-up on my blog. Some of my fans are popping out of their ice caves and are finally getting power back so I don't want to disappoint with no blog news.

Exciting stuff to look forward to this week? Tay's bday party at Pump It Up (a place full of inflatables) - it will be all of T's family and all of Michelle's family. If that doesn't spark some good blogging, I don't know what will.

STATUS: Dawna is now ketchup.
MOOD: Tired but victorious! YAY STEELERS!

1 comment:

Maharry Balls said...

Actually...it's catsup. haha

Anyway, it was good to see you on Sunday. Thank you again for having us over. Now...we just need to figure out when you can help me organize =P We also need to plan another Uno night soon or a night out with Amber. Just let me know! Love you!