The Housewife's Brood

Friday, November 21, 2008

Entry 4: Running/Crawling, Beer A Plenty, Our Accents

Yesterday we headed back to the marina from Nara Inlet. The wind was at our backs which typically doesn’t lend to good sailing. However, running is always a possibility – this is where you have your main sail on one side of the boat and your head sail on the other side to maximize canvas. So we thought we would try it instead of motoring all the way back to the marina.

Todd did a great job setting the sails and the wind was truly at our backs. However, there wasn’t much wind to be had. Therefore, we were moving very slowly – crawling actually – and it wasn’t as much fun as the close reach sailing we were doing the day before. After trying to be patient with the lack of wind as long as we could, we decided to drop sails and motor on back. I know – we probably don’t sound like true sailors. But it is our holiday!

On our way back to the marina under power, we set the autopilot and just hung out and chatted. As we got closer, we decided to check out our frosty beers. Very yummy. Along with a couple of snacks.

Once we were outside the marina, we contacted Sunsail on the radio to meet us and take us in. They guided us as to which side of the boat to place our fenders and where to put Timmy the Tender (which was at the bow). Sure enough, as we made our way in, they jumped on our boat and brought her safely into her slot.

There were several reasons we came back to the marina. One was to replenish our ice and other supplies. The other was to have our refrigerator looked at since it wasn’t holding cold and we were concerned that our provisioning would be ruined.

The guy that brought us in looked at the fridge and blew it off saying that it will take more power to keep it cold because of how hot it was outside. Funny because his colleague that met us out at Nara said that it was a faulty pump. Then he said that we should just ice it down and deal with it that way and kept talking about how expensive it would be to get someone out to look at it over the weekend or something. But then he resigned to letting us know someone would come take a look. Whatev buddy! This is your company’s boat, not ours! We have spent good money to be on this boat and it should run like a dream!

While we were sitting on deck deciding where we were going to go for lunch, the guy came to look at the fridge. He said we didn’t need to stick around so we headed up to the Marina Tavern for some beers and lunch. Todd had a T-Bone and fries. I had the potato wedge side that came with sour cream and some yummy spicy sweet and sour sauce. We both had some more cold beer. It was perfect. I was wondering what we sound like to other countries as far as our accent. We must have one, right? I love the Australian accent but, if it’s too deep, it is hard for me to understand. But they always seem to understand me fine. Do we not have an accent?

After lunch we ran a couple of errands like going to the general store to pick up milk and a BBQ lighter (the lighter on the boat didn’t work so we have been using matches). Then we went to get more ice and beer. Once back on the boat, we decided to get showers at the marina before heading to dinner. The marina showers are behind the laundry area and get very hot! I find that, just getting dressed after my shower, I am sweaty all over again. I actually think I like the onboard shower a bit better. Even though it is a little tighter. But a shower is a shower and it still felt good.

After our showers, we returned to the boat and talked about our plan for today’s sail. The winds will be coming from the South East so, in order to have a great close reach sail, we needed to go to a southern island. We decided on Shaw Island which is southeast of Hamilton. It should be a nice sail if the weather clears up. It is very overcast this morning with light showers.

After we plotted our course (which we don’t do the old fashion way – plotting our course is done by downloading it on our GPS), we headed up to the marina to look for dinner options. I wasn’t real hungry because I kinda dived into our chips and salsa supply. But Todd was wanting some dinner so we headed up that way. We decided on a pizza pub. We waited for about 15 or 20 minutes (maybe more) and had a couple more beers. Finally we were seated by the hostess. We discovered that our server was from Canada and we told him we were from the US. The hostess looked over and said “oh I couldn’t figure out the accent.” So we DO have an accent to others! I found that interesting. I would love to hear our accent from their perspective.

Todd ordered the margarita pizza, half with jalapenos and I had about two pieces before I was topped off. During dinner we watched lightening out in the distance – a little south I think. It was high in the clouds and was pretty. We were kinda hoping it would make its way here but it never did.

After dinner we headed back to the boat and hung out a bit before going to bed. I ended up sleeping closer to the wall in the V Berth – I usually slept on the side closest to the door leading into the galley which has the hatches above my head. My usual spot is nice because we keep the hatches open which allows for a nice breeze and I can see out. Well, last night I decided I would let Todd have that side and I would sleep closest to the wall. Well, not so good. In the middle of the night I woke up freaking out. I felt like I couldn’t breathe and made a quick path to the deck to get some air. When I came back, needless to say, Todd let me have my spot back and all was well.

I woke up this morning to our main halyard flapping against the mast. This has been driving us crazy every night. I tried to put a roll of paper towels between the halyard and the mast like Todd did the night before, but it didn’t work as well. While I was up I decided to go to the potty and then I was just up for the rest of the morning. I watched the birds for a while, laid under the bemony (sp) while it lightly rained, and came down to the galley to write this entry. This is a new location because it is too wet on deck.

So Todd is still resting and I think I am going to walk up to the marina for a bit. In order for Sunsail to get us out of the marina, we have to wait until they open – which is around 8 or so. I am hoping the weather clear up some. Every morning is a little gray, though – kinda reminds me of San Diego. We will get a weather report around 8:45 on the VHF radio. Or we might just check with base when they open at 8.

All I know is that Todd and I agree that it is nice to come back to base from time to time to replenish. But our true love is exploring new islands and anchorages. We are ready to bust out of here and go to our next destination!

No comments: